Safe Use and Care of Your Ladder
- Never use a damaged ladder and always inspect your ladder for damage before use.
- Always face the ladder when climbing up or down and when working.
- Always wear non-slip footwear.
- Do not use your ladder where an electrical hazard exists. Use only non-conductive ladders where an electrical hazard exists.
- Never leave a ladder unattended.
- Store ladders in a tidy, easy to reach and covered location.
- Always be aware of other people in close proximity to where you are carrying or using your ladder.
- If using a ladder near a doorway, ensure that the door is blocked open or locked closed.
- Always ensure there are no electrical or telephone cables nearby.
- Stepladders should only be used in the fully open position.
- Ensure that the ladder is stable and all ladder feet are in contact with a firm level surface
- Never stand on the top of a stepladder
- At all times ensure your body is centred on the ladder.
- Always check that the top and bottom of the ladder is secured against slipping.
- Always ensure both rungs are firmly engaged.
- Always extend the ladder 1.0m above the working surface
- Do not try to carry a long extension ladder by yourself or place in position without help
- When using your extension ladder remember the one in four rule: the ladder should always be one metre from the vertical face for every four metres of height.